Friday Funday, July 15, 2022
Athen's favorite street food, marinated pork souvlaki skewers. Served with tart Greek lemon potatoes, Maroulosalata salad, pita bread, tzatziki, and tomato wedges.
- 1 pan pork skewers
- 1 pan lemon potatoes
- 1 container salad
- 1 container dressing
- 1 bag pita bread
- 1 container tzatziki
- 1 bag tomato wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 place uncovered pan of potatoes in the oven and bake for ~20 minutes until 165 degrees. If a crisp potato is desired, toss in some oil and put on a sheet pan in a single layer.
- Skewers- We have listed four methods from which you can choose to cook your skewers.
- 1 - Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat (about 375 degrees F). Brush the grill grates with oil or coat with nonstick grill spray. Grill skewers turning the skewers every few minutes so that each side has grill marks for about 10 to 15 minutes and an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees
- 2 - Broiler instructions: Preheat the broiler. Brush or spray a sheet pan with oil. Place the skewers in a single layer on a sheet pan. Put the pan approximately 4+ inches under the broiler and cook for 5 minutes or until well caramelized, then flip the skewers and broil on the other side for 5 more minutes or until 145 degrees. Broilers get very hot, keep a close eye on your skewers the whole time they are cooking as to not let them burn.
- 3- Preheat oven to 425 bake in a single layer in the oven for 10 minutes, then flip the skewers and continue cooking ~10 more minutes or until 145 degrees.
- 4- In a fry pan on medium heat add some neutral cooking oil. Place skewers in the pan once oil is shimmering but not smoking. Brown on all sides then continue cooking until 145 degrees.
- Pita can be heated in the oven for a couple minutes, in the microwave wrapped in a towel until warm or in a dry fry pan on medium heat.
- Toss salad with as much dressing as desired.
- Divide components amongst dinner plates. Eat components separately or place in pita to make a sandwich.