Friday Funday, August 21, 2020
Skewers of chicken with a Malaysian peanut dipping sauce served with orange ginger brocolli and greens, coconut rice and an appetizer of lemongrass sauteed mushrooms.
Assemblage Difficulty: 4 out of 10
- 1 pan chicken
- 1 container peanut sauce
- 1 pan brocolli and greens
- 1 pan rice
- 1 bag mushrooms
- On the stovetop over medium heat add one tablespoon oil or butter (or both) and saute mushrooms until heated through.
We have listed four methods from which you can choose to cook your skewers. They are listed in order of highest recommendation.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat (about 375 degrees F). Brush the grill grates with cooking oil or coat with nonstick grill spray. Grill skewers turning the skewers every few minutes so that each side has grill marks until chicken is fully cooked through and the juices run clear, about 10 to 15 minutes and an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Broiler instructions: Preheat the broiler. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray. Place the skewers in a single layer on a sheet pan. Put the pan approximately 4 inches under the broiler and cook for 5 minutes, then flip the skewers and broil on the other side for 5 more minutes until 165 degrees. Broilers are very sensitive, keep a close eye on your skewers as to not let them burn. Cook until chicken is fully cooked through and the juices run clear and an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Heat a skillet or fry pan on medium heat, once hot add 1-2 tablespoons oil once oil shimmers add skewers in batches making sure not to cross contaminate beef with chicken if medium rare doneness is desired. Cook on each side until well caramelized and chicken is fully cooked through and the juices run clear and an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Preheat to 425 put skewers on an oiled baking sheet in a single layer in the oven for 20-30 minutes, flipping the skewers about half way through. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. You may need to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on your oven unitl 165 degrees.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons water in rice pan, cover and bake in the 425 degree oven for 15-25 minutes until 165 degrees. Alternatively the rice can be placed in a microwave safe dish with a tablespoon of water and heated fluffing every 60 seconds until 165 degrees.
- Brocolli and greens can be baked in the 425 oven, uncovered for 15 muntes or so until heated through or they can be sauteed over medium heat on the stovetop by heating a skillet or fry pan on medium heat, once hot add 1-2 tablespoons oil once oil shimmers add veggies being carful not to add any liquid that may have collected in the in the pan. Saute until heated through and caramelized.
*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs might increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.
- Mushrooms can be eaten as an appetizer or alongsdie the meal.
- Divide skewers, veggies and rice amongst dinner plates.
- Divide peanut sauce into small ramekins or sauce cups for dipping the skewers.