Wholesome Humpday, November 18, 2020
Sweet & Savory Huli Huli chicken skewers with pineapple, peppers, onion & cherry tomato. Comes with sides of Hawaiian macaroni salad & luau-style baked beans. Served alongside cucumber & carrot pickles.
- 1 pan chicken skewer kit
- 8 ounces basting sauce
- 1 quart macaroni salad
- 1 quart baked beans
- 1 small bag of pickled cucumber & carrot
- Put together skewers alternating chicken and vegetables. Pineapple contains bromelain which can tenderize meat so much it becomes mushy, to avoid this put skewers together just before cooking.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat (about 375 degrees F). Brush the grill grates with canola oil or coat with nonstick grill spray. Grill skewers turning the skewers every few minutes so that each side has grill marks until fully cooked through and the juices run clear, about 10 to 15 minutes and an internal temperature of 165 degrees. If you choose, you can baste with the sauce in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Broiler instructions: Preheat the broiler. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray. Place the skewers in a single layer on a sheet pan. Put the pan approximately 4 inches under the broiler and cook for 5 minutes, then flip the skewers and broil on the other side for 5 more minutes until 165 degrees. Broilers are very sensitive, keep a close eye on your skewers as to not let them burn. If you choose, you can baste with the sauce in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Preheat to 450 bake in a single layer in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the skewers about half way through. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. You may need to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on your oven until 165 degrees. If you choose, you can baste with the sauce in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Beans can be heated over medium heat on the stovetop stirring often until heated through, 165 degrees.
- Divide skewers amongst dinner plate with a serving of beans and mac salad and pickles. Leftover huli huli sauce can be served in small ramekins for dipping.