Wholesome Humpday - May 6, 2020
Chicken and butternut squash pastel azteca, a layered tortilla casserole served with pico de gallo and guacamole, cilantro rice and black beans (gluten free).
- one pan Pastel Azteca
- one pint cilantro rice
- one pint black beans
- 8oz. pico de gallo
- 8oz. guacamole
- Preheat oven to 350. Once up to temperature, put covered pan into oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Place rice in microwave safe dish. Microwave for three minutes, stirring every sixty seconds.
- Warm beans in a pan over stovetop, or microwave until temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Plate Pastel Azteca onto four plates, top with pico and guacamole.
- Plate rice and beans alongside Pastel Azteca.
Dessert (purchased seperately): Caramel Cinnamon Sopapillas
Place sopapillas on pan. Place pan in oven at 200 degrees until warm. Serve on individual plates. Cut corner off of caremel bag and drizzle over sopapillas.
Notes from Sara:
Hearty and comforting, Pastel Azteca is one of the most widely known recipes in Mexico. We mix ours up by adding sweet and creamy butternut squash, a family favorite.