Friday Funday, July 30, 2021
The ultimate Pacific Northwest summer feast! Manila clams, from our friends at Hama Hama, and prawns steamed in local white wine butter broth with mirepoix of fragrant vegetables, garlic and herbs and Washington grown corn on the cob, baby red potatoes and locally farmed summer squash for the boil. Served with a Salish sunburst salad of Washington grown apple, wine soaked cranberry, crushed hazelnuts and blue cheese on field greens and romaine with a fresh lemon sumac vinaigrette and a crusty house baked baguette with butter.
- 1 bag clams
- 1 bag prawns
- 1 container concentrated broth
- 1 bag corn, squash and potatoes
- 1 container salad
- 1 container dressing
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon
- 1 loaf bread
- butter pats for bread
- butter for dipping clams, if desired
Directions:Though it may make you think of an oven, the term clambake gets it's name from a traditional Native American method of cooking in layers of seaweed in large pits in the sand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clambake For this meal we recommend stovetop cooking, but i will include a baked version at the bottom it you would prefer.
- Put a large stock pot on medium high heat, add broth plus a container of water to pot and bring to a low boil. Add potatoes, cover and cook 8 minutes. Next add prawns and clams, cover and cook on a soft boil for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir then add corn and squash, then recover and continue cooking until clams are open, approximately 5 more minutes. Clams don't all open at the same time, some may take a little longer, but always discard any clams that haven't opened after being thoroughly cooked. Keep in mind for those who are preparing multiple kits at a time that your cooking time will be increased.
- Bread can be eaten at room temperature or it can be heated in foil in a 350 oven for 10+ minutes until warmed through. Alternatively it can be wrapped in a towel and microwaved for a minute or two until just warm.
- Melt butter on low heat in a sauce pan or in a microwave safe dish for a minute or two until just melted.
- Dice apple.
- Toss salad with apple and as much dressing as desired.
- Cut lemon into wedges.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a large, rimmed baking sheet.
Cook potatoes on the baking sheet in for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter over low heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Spread clams, shrimp, corn and squash over the potatoes and pour butter over the top of everything. Bake for 12-18 minutes until clams have opened and shrimp turn opaque.
- Heat broth with an additional container of water over medium high heat in a covered sauce pan or in the microwave until 165 degrees.
- Divide clams, prawns, corn, squash and potatoes into large bowls and ladel broth over the top. Garnish with lemon wedge. Serve small ramekin of melted butter on the side for dipping, if desired.
- Serve salad in seperate plates or bowls.
- Serve bread on the side, we recommend using it to soak up the delicious broth!