Meatless Monday, June 14th, 2021
A spin on the classic with red beans, holy trinity (peppers, onion and celery), okra and creole spices in a tomato roux base served over "Buttered" popcorn rice, Della, an old variety of long grain aromatic rice grown at Baker Farms in Gueydan, Louisiana with sides of jalapeno corn bread and a sunburst salad with port soaked cranberries and almonds in a unique a cinnamon tabasco vinaigrette
Assemblage difficulty: 2 out of 10.
- One gumbo
- One pan rice
- One container salad
- One container dressing
- One pan corn bread
- Preheat oven to 375. Once up to temperature, put covered pan into oven. Bake for 25 minutes, stir and add a table spoon of water to the rice and cover add to oven and bake both pans for 20+ minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Corn bread can be served at room temperature or it can be heated for the last 5 or so minutes of cooking time to warm through.
- Toss salad with as much dressing as desired.
- Divide rice amongst plate or shallow bowls and pour gumbo over the top or, as I like to do for nicer presentation, place gumbo in shallow pasta dishes or bowls then pack rice into large cups and turn gently over on to the center top of the stew.
- Servecorn bread on the side.
- Serve salad in separate bowls or on plates.