Friday Funday, October 2, 2020
Steak fajitas, served with a trio of bell peppers & onion, corn tortillas, fresh tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado crema, lime & Nate's fire roasted salsa. Comes with 7-layer dip & fresh corn tortilla chips for an appetizer.
Assemblage Difficulty: 4 out of 10
- 1 bag steak
- 1 bag veggies
- 1 dozen tortillas
- 8 oz. chopped tomatoes
- 1 bag shredded romaine
- 8 oz. avocado crema
- 8 oz salsa
- 1 lime
- 1 container of 7-layer dip
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- Pre heat oven to 425. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the pan of rice and recover. Place in oven and bake for approxiamately 20-25 minutes, keep in mind if using fajita method #1 (below), you would want to start the meat and veggies after about 10-15 minutes after you put the rice in the oven.
- These fajitas can be prepared two ways:
Method 1: Spread meat (without marinade) and veggies out on a sheet pan, in a single layer if possible. Bake for 5 minutes, stir, bake for 5 more minutes. Remove pan, put an oven shelf to the top of the oven, turn broiler on high, broil a couple minutes until desired degree of caramelization is reached.
Method 2: Heat your pan over medium high heat until a drop of water beads up and sizzles. Add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan, usually 1-2 tablespoons. Once oil is hot enough to shimmer, not smoke, add veggies. Stir occasionally to achieve good color, then place aside. Heat a little more oil in the pan and add meat without the marinade and turn occasionally until desired degree of doneness.
- Tortillas can be warmed in the oven, wrapped in foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking time or they could also be wrapped in a towel and heated in the microwave for a minute or two until warm and pliable. Or, if you have are more adventurous and have a gas range, you can try our method of turing the burner on medium low and laying the tortilla on the flame and flipping and tossing over the flame until warm, pliable with a touch of crispness.
- Dip and chips can be served as an appetizer or along with the meal.
- Build your fajitas by placing steak and peppers in side of tortillas and topping with fresh veggies and sauces and garnish with a slice of lime. This can be done and served ready to go or served family style by making them up as you go at the dinner table.
- Serve rice on dinner plate next to the fajitas.