Friday Funday, May 6, 2022
Bibimbap was originally written in Hanja due to the use of Chinese characters in Korea. There are two separate ancient writings that suggest the original reasoning behind the creation and use of bibimbap. The first one, "People's Unofficial Story of Jeonju" (全州野史), tells of Jeonju bibimbap being used in occasions such as parties that included government officials of provincial offices. The second being, "Lannokgi" (蘭綠記), which told of bibimbap being made by the wives, of farmers, who had no time to prepare meals the traditional way with many side dishes, and instead they were able to throw most of the ingredients in a bowl sometimes adding whatever they happened to be cultivating. - from Wikipedia
Steamed long grain white rice topped with sliced bulgogi beef, vegetables, fried egg and gochujang sauce. Served with a simple and delicious bean sprout soup and house made kimchi cucumbers
Assemblage Difficulty: 5 out of 10
- 1 bag beef
- 1 pan rice
- 1 bag spinach
- 1 bag shiitake
- 1 container of toppings
- 1 bag sprouts for soup
- 1 egg per person
- 1 container sauce
- 1 container concentrated soup base
- 1 container cucumbers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, add 1-2 tablespoons water to pan and recover. Place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until 165 degrees. Alternatively rice can be heated in the microwave in a compatible dish fluffing with a fork to stir every 45 seconds until 165 degrees.
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat, once hot enough to bead up and sizzle a drop of water, add 1-2 tablespoons neutral cooking oil. Once it shimmers (not smoking) add beef to pan, straining out any liquid if necessary. Once caramelized stir and continue cooking until and 155 degrees. Salt and pepper to taste and set meat off to the side.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and saute mushrooms for five minutes to desired doneness. Set off to the side.
- Add spinach to the pan and saute 1-2 minutes until just wilted.
- Eggs can be prepared any way you like but we recommend basted. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat until slightly shimmering. Crack an eggs into the pan add a tablespoon of water (careful not to splatter) and cover with a tight lid. Cook uninterrupted, until the whites are completely set but the yolks are still runny, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- For soup, place the soup base plus one plus one cup of water for 2 person meals or 2 cups of water for 4 person meals in a sauce pan with the bag of sprouts and cover. Bring to boil then serve.
- Soup should be served in a soup cup or bowl and can be eaten as an appetizer or along side the meal.
- Cucumbers can be eaten as an appetizer or be served on top of the bowl.
- Place rice into large bowls preferably, but a plate will work if needed. Top with beef, mushrooms, spinach, fresh veggies, egg and as much sauce as desired.