Meatless Monday, May 30, 2022
Marinated & sliced grilled portobello strips and caramelized onion on crusty hoagie rolls with optional Swiss cheese and a vegan au jus for dipping. Served with steak fries with bistro sauce and a fresh green salad with broccoli, red onion and golden raisins in a white balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 pan portobello and onions
- 1 bag Swiss cheese (or vegan Daiya)
- 1 bag buns
- 1 container condensed jus
- 1 bag steak fries
- 1 container bisto sauce
- 1 container salad
- 1 container dressing
- Preheat oven to 400. Once up to temperature, place fries on an oiled sheet pan and place into oven along with the covered pan of mushrooms. Bake both pans for 20+ minutes until 165 degrees flipping fries halfway through. Alternatively mushrooms can be reheated in a fry pan over medium heat with a tablespoons of butter or neutral cooking oil.
- Slice buns and toast them under a broiler or heat flat side down in a dry fry pan over medium heat.
- If using Swiss cheese, divide the heated mushrooms and onions onto the bun bottom and put cheese on top then place under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese if desired. Watch carefully not to burn.
- Heat au jus with as much water as desired to taste in a sauce pan on medium high heat until 165 degrees.
- Toss salad with as much dressing as desired.
- Serve sandwiches and fries on dinner places with a ramekin of jus for dipping and a dollop of sauce for the fries.
- Serve salad on small plates or in bowls.