Meatless Monday, April 18, 2022
Savory veggie skewers dusted with ground peanut, ginger, garlic, and chile. Served with sides of aromatic Jollof rice, a simple green salad, and fresh flatbread.
- 1 pan skewers
- 1 pan rice
- 1 container salad
- 1 container dressing
- 1 bag flatbread
- Preheat oven to 400. put a tablesppon or two of water in the pan of rice and recover. Place in oven and bake until heated through, ~15-20 minutes and 165 degrees.
- Skewers- We have listed four methods from which you can choose to cook your skewers. For all methods, brush or spray skewers with oil and salt them to taste.
- 1 - Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat (about 375 degrees F). Brush the grill grates with oil or coat with nonstick grill spray. Grill skewers turning the skewers every few minutes so that each side has grill marks for about 10 minutes.
- 2 - Broiler instructions: Preheat the broiler. Brush or spray a sheet pan with oil. Place the skewers in a single layer on a sheet pan. Put the pan approximately 4+ inches under the broiler and cook for 5 minutes or until well caramelized, then flip the skewers and broil on the other side for 5 more minutes or until 145 degrees. Broilers get very hot, keep a close eye on your skewers the whole time they are cooking as to not let them burn.
- 3- Preheat oven to 400 bake in a single layer in the oven for 10 minutes, then flip the skewers and continue cooking ~10 more, or to desired doneness.
- 4- In a fry pan on medium heat add some neutral cooking oil. Place skewers in the pan once oil is shimmering but not smoking. Brown on all sides to desired doneness.
- Pita can be heated in the oven for a couple minutes, in the microwave wrapped in a towel until warm or in a dry fry pan on medium heat.
- Toss salad with as much dressing as desired.
- Divide skewers, rice and pita amongst dinner plates.
- Serve salad in separate bowls or plates.