Meatless Monday, March 8, 2021
West African style peanut curry with tofu, sweet potato and kale, served over basmati rice. Comes with a green salad & flat bread.
- 1 pan curry
- 1 pan rice
- 1 bag greens
- 1 bag peanuts
- 1 container salad
- 1 container dressing
- 2 or 4 lat breads
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and place covered pan of curry in oven. Bake for 10 minutes then add a tablespoon of water to the rice and recover before adding it to the oven, Continue baking both pans for 15-30 minutes or until heated thoroughly, 165 degrees. Alternatively, both can be microwaved. Just place in covered microwave safe containers and cook on regular power stirring curry and fluffing rice with a fork every 45 seconds until an internal temperature of 165 degrees. You may also choose to heat curry in a soup pot on the stove top over medium low heat.
- Lightly saute the kale in a fry pan over medium high heat with a tablesppon or two of neutral cooking oil until wilted. Alternatively you could add the kale to the pan of curry and bake them together or you could stir it into the curry in the soup pot if you choose the stovetop method.
- Flat bread can be heated in the oven for the last couple minutes of cooking time, it can be warmed in a dry fry pan over medium heat or it can be wrapped in a towel and microwaved for a minute or until just warm. If you have a gas range you could also use our family's method, turn a burner on low and heat bread by flipping and turning it every few seconds over the flame until very lightly charred and warmed through. Watch your fingers though ;)
- Toss the salad with the dressing.
- In shallow pasta dishes or on plates, you can serve this in any way you desire, but I like to serve this curry upside down by dividing the kale amongst the plates, topping with the curry and then a scoop of rice. For presentation, if you like, you can pack the rice in a measuring cup, ramekin, a mug or small bowl and gently turn it over onto the curry. Garnish with peanuts.
- Serve bread on the side of the dinner plate or on separate plates.
- Place salad seperate plates or bowls.